Sugaring Hair Removal
Sugaring is a form of hair removal similar to waxing but more gentle on the skin.
Sugaring is an all-natural water soluble paste made with nothing but sugar, water and lemon. It is applied by hand and removed in the direction of the hair growth. This leads to less breakage and ingrown hairs.
Sugaring is more gentle on the skin and appropriate for clients who have sensitive skin or for hair removal on sensitive areas.
Sugaring gently exfoliates dead skin cells leaving the skin less red and irritated than wax.
The Benefits of Sugaring
Sugar paste is all-natural and environmentally friendly. Plus it’s great for your skin. It is warmed at low heat and stays around room temperature so there is no burning.
Sugaring can be applied to all skin types, and even on hair of varying lengths. Hair can be as short as 1/8”, and still the sugar paste will not tear or lift healthy skin like wax. It’s also typically less painful than wax. Sugaring exfoliates the skin and only adheres to dead skin resulting in a shorter recovery time.
When should I avoid sugaring?
- If you have sunburned skin or if you have been tanning in the last 24 hours (sugaring cannot be performed the same day, but an appointment can be scheduled at a later date.)
- If you have an infectious or contagious disease, or have irritation, open cuts, or wounds on the area.
- If you are currently or have taken Accutane in the past 6 months.
- If you have had a physician-administered peel or skin resurfacing within the past year.
- If you are using Retinols such as Retin A, Renova, Tretinoin, Differin, or any other topical cream for acne. You will not be a candidate for sugaring in the area you are using medications, but may be able to sugar other areas.
Pre Sugaring Instructions
- Please come to your appointment with clean skin that is free of skin care products such as
lotions, oils, deodorants, and perfumes.
- Exfoliate 24 hours prior to the appointment.
- Do not expose the area to sun or tanning 24 hours prior to the appointment.
Post Sugaring Instructions (12-24 hours after procedure)
- Stay Clean, Cool and Dry! Showering is fine (remember that when hair is removed the hair follicle remains open for 12 to 24 hours and sweat, bacteria and dirt can irritate the skin and cause ingrown hairs and break outs.)
- Avoid touching the area
- No strenuous physical activity such as exercising that causes sweating
- No Friction such as rubbing or tight clothing
- No bath tub or hot tubs
Post Sugaring Instructions (48 hours after procedure)
- No suntanning
- Begin Exfoliating 2 to 3 times a week after the service.
- Use a lighter lotion every day.
- Do not shave in between sugaring appointments.
- If you experience any inflammation apply a cold cloth or ice pack.
*After your first sugaring service, there may be some stubble or hairs that emerge from the skin within a few days. Those hairs had not yet surfaced or were too short to get out during the initial service. It is advised to schedule a sugaring appointment every 3 to 6 weeks for maintenance, but you can schedule within the first 2 weeks to get all hair on the same growth pattern.
*Red bumps, hives or small histamine bumps can be present. This will go away as the skin calms down.
*If ingrowns are a problem and exfoliating isn’t keeping them under control, Bare Beauty Sugaring Boutique carries products that can be used daily to treat them.